Content that has been created can be saved to the server. These items can be re-opened for further use and analysis based on a user's content access and security roles (Security). Different versions of content can also be saved in the application during the saving process.
To save content a user can either click the SAVE button in the quick-bar at the top of each application (as per image below) or use the SAVE/SAVE AS buttons in the backstage. Once an item has been saved, users can optionally click the SAVE AS button on the backstage to re-save the item to another destination in the content management system (CMS), or to save over and REPLACE another existing item already in the CMS.
NOTE: to version content items, users need to use the SAVE AS option and click the version track.
To either override an existing file or save it under a new name, users should use the "SAVE AS" option in the backstage (blue arrow below). Alternatively, to create a new version of an existing item, users should use the "Save New Version" under the same backstage option to create a separate version of the current item.
Standard Save Dialog
When saving content normally (either normal Save or Save As), the user is prompted with the dialog below.
- A user needs to have write access to a folder to save content into it. The folder's security settings are presented in the bottom right hand corner (purple highlight).
- If a user wishes to add a new folder they can click the "create folder" button in the top left hand toolbar. This will add a folder to the selected parent node. See below for more details on adding book folders.
- To save an item inside an existing folder, users should select the folder in the middle panel (or traverse to a sub-solder as needed).
- In the far right panel (green highlight), users can select which roles will have access to the saved book and the extended security profile settings (red arrow) that will be applied to this book for those specific roles. See security for more details on securing content.
- Users then provide a name and metadata descriptions for the book in the bottom panel (blue arrow) before clicking the save button.
The process of saving a book AS another item is similar to the standard save process above.
IMPORTANT: SAVE AS activities cannot be reversed unless the item has been saved as a new version instead.
While in the save dialog box, users can create folders to better organize their content and add security structure to the CMS.
- Clicking the "Create Folder" button in the toolbar, will prompt the user with the following dialog box.
- User provides a name for the folder.
- For the Group and Public domains: In the bottom panel, users must select which roles will have read/write permissions to the new folder (as per below)
- For the Private domain: the folder is automatically set to have full read/write permissions for the user, since it's their own private content domain - hence no role security window is provided (second image below).